In the past, it seemed like image-related concerns were reserved primarily for celebrity personas and big businesses. And smaller enterprises had little to benefit from brand perception. However, in this digital era of today, where consumers have more access to information and have the ability to broadcast their opinions to a broader audience, appearing as disreputable and untrustworthy is no longer something that anyone can afford to be perceived as.
As more and more consumers start their buyers’ journeys on the World Wide Web, many professionals and businesses have begun to turn to online reputation management or ORM experts and strategies. From retail stores to physician reputation management, doing so allows them to keep public perception in a favorable light. And in this brief guide, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about it, from what ORM is to how managing your brand’s reputation on the internet can allow you to get more clients.
What is ORM?
ORM or online reputation management is the process of creating, restoring, or reinforcing a positive public impression for an individual, enterprise, or brand. The techniques used include encouraging satisfied consumers in writing reviews, monitoring and addressing negative content, and engaging with existing customers to promote engagement and word-of-mouth advertising. It exists not only to enhance the image of an entity – but also to keep any potential problems from damaging its reputation.
How it can get you more clients
An excellent image is something that no successful brand can be without. The question is how ORM can help you attract more clients and generate more revenue for your business. Listed below are a few ways in which online reputation management can be advantageous for a brand.
- It impacts consumers’ buying decision. Since the majority of consumers tend to research online before they commit to any goods or services, how a brand appears on the internet will impact their buying decision. Simply put, the reputation of a business online serves as a quality assurance that most people will take into consideration when they make a purchase.
- Leverage word-of-mouth advertising. No one can deny that online feedback and reviews are treated similarly to personal recommendations and trusted nearly as much as tips from family and friends. And this presents brands with an opportunity to widen their market base by leveraging reviews from satisfied customers. By encouraging positive testimonials from well-pleased clients, you’ll be able to improve your image and attract an even greater following, whether it’s an industrial business or physician reputation management.
- The internet remembers. Almost everything that is posted online stays on the internet. While this can be beneficial when it comes to positive reviews, it can have the opposite effect if it’s a negative opinion. But that’s not to say that nothing can be done about it. On the contrary, you’ve got a chance to alter the negative feedback for your business if you handle it correctly. And through ORM, not only can you turn dissatisfied consumers into brand advocates. But studies show that these types of customers are likely to spend more on a brand too.
Online reputation management tips for professionals
While hiring the expertise of a professional ORM company is essential, you must also ensure that you have a process in place for it. While this may vary depending on the size and industry of the company, there are fundamental aspects that remain the same. And below, we’ve listed some helpful tips that should help you manage your internet image.
- Audit the company’s reputation. Before any online reputation management processes are put into place, it is a general rule of thumb to conduct an audit first. The idea behind it is to grasp what the public perception of the brand is to understand both the challenges you’re likely to face and the most effective strategies to use. And through brand monitoring, you’ll be able to do just that.
- Set your goals. Once the audit has been conducted, the next step is to determine your goals. However, don’t just establish unrealistic expectations. Instead, consider the limitations and boundaries of the brand. And prioritize all of your tasks by the impact of each challenge. Doing so will allow you to maximize your efforts and overcome the difficulties presented.
- Establish guidelines. Success at managing your online reputation requires a fair amount of work. To ensure that you don’t go past any red tape, you’ll need to establish guidelines. While the scope of the policies will vary depending on the enterprise, field, and other factors, the general ideas will remain the same. For instance, if you’re looking to improve your physician reputation management, you’ll need to identify which cases require urgent responses and which to ignore.
These days, there are a few things that are more critical to professionals, be it entrepreneurs or physician reputation management, as online reputation management. After all, apart from ensuring that the image of a company stays intact and helps it attract more clients, it can also allow it to maintain its existing customers. So you must never take ORM for granted. It will go a long way in helping your enterprise succeed.